March 31, 2010

creamy broccoli soup


Soup season is going to be coming to an end soon, so in honor of the snow we had on the ground this morning, I thought I'd share one of my all time favorites.

This was originally a potato soup recipe, but the base is what caught my attention. Actually, it was one particular ingredient in the base that really called to me.

Cream cheese.

It called my name.

I heard it.

Creamy Broccoli Soup

1/2 cup chopped onion
4 T butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup flour
1 cup water
3 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 3 bouillon cubes
3 1/2 cups milk
broccoli - I think I ended up using around 4 cups, maybe a bit more, of chopped broccoli (should have kept closer track of my measurements. Sorry.)

I start by chopping my broccoli quite small. I add a bit of water, cover and microwave for four to five minutes, stirring after each minute. You want that perfect not too crunchy, not too mushy texture.
Saute onion in butter until soft. Add cream cheese. (I soften it in the microwave, which seems to help it blend in without getting lumpy.) Add flour and stir in. Add water and bouillon and mix well. (If you use cubes, you will want to dissolve them in the water first.) Finally, add the milk and heat until it starts to thicken, stirring constantly. Stir in the broccoli, and you're done!

We usually serve it in a sourdough bread bowl and top it with shredded sharp cheddar.

p.s. I usually chicken out when it comes to posting recipes, because I'm afraid someone will take the time to make one of them, and not like it. That makes me very nervous. However, I think the cream cheese is giving me courage, so here goes! Hope you enjoy.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! It sounds divine -- and I have a huge block of cream cheese sitting in my fridge begging to be put to use! I think I might be off to the grocery store in the morning to buy broccoli.
    My taste buds are watering just imagining it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...yes...I will accept your dinner invitation! How sweet of you! How did you know Broccoli soup was one of my favorites!? ;o)

    Serioulsy, I don't know how you do it...and I never thought I would say these words...but "your broccoli soup is beautiful". That is what I am talking about with your photos! You can ever work magic on soup!!

    That sounds like a great recipe...I am going to try it this weeked. They are calling for rain. Nothing better than soup and crusty bread on a rainy day!

    ~mary~

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very easy and very yummy...and it's snowing here now..so I will make this..thanks for sharing it. Come say hi sometime..:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creamy broccoli -- one of my favorites!

    And I love the pretty bowl it's in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shut up! Cream cheese, really? That's awesome. I'm saving this one for sure. Is there anything more decadent than eating your soup of a bread bowl? I have a stilton blue cheese soup that I serve that way. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the perfect comfort food! Can't wait to try it! The cream cheese is calling my name too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful! I made your firehouse chicken enchiladas and they are a family favorite now.....keep the recipes coming!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to know what is eaten at Meadowbrook Farm. Farm and food just go together. I hope you will share with us! --Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious to me! And the cream soup bowl is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are certain foods that will call you out by name. There is no denying that you can hear it! I recently made a pot of broccoli soup and it did not have cream cheese in it. I don't believe it tasted as good as I can imagine yours was. I think I will try it your way the next time around...but I a hoping the soup weather stays away here in MN for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm...you can never go wrong with a yummy soup. Especially one with cream cheese it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, how could one refuse cream cheese? I am the same way with recipes though. Then I end up giving WAY too many directions (micro-managing)and annoying everyone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. That screams....COME TO MOMMA....looks so good. I love soup. I eat it in the summer. Preferably one cool summer days, but none the less, when one us supposed to be eating watermelon and Popsicles. This will make an appearance on the dinner table soon. Thanks. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made your soup tonight! Husb said...in a loud groan "Mmmmmm, Lea that's good". Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 5 heads of broccoli? Five? Really? Like, go to the store, buy 5 heads of broccoli?

    Please confirm.

    Upon confirmation, I'm all over this soup. I'll put it in the cream cheese/Benny file, along with the cream cheese enchis.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS - Beautiful picture. It almost makes me want to iron my linens before I use them for a pic... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute blogs! My Mom likes them and sent me the links. Your pics are beautiful and the recipes are heart warming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I dont even want to know the calorie count of this. One time I threw some cubed cream cheese into a meatloaf I was making. I have no idea why, but it was one of th ebest meatloaves I have ever made!

    ReplyDelete